Friday, May 6, 2011

May Summit at a Close

Hello everyone,
The Summit Park experience was exciting, new, and invigorating!

An aspect that will be beneficial to have as I continue my journey through my remaining two years at Drury is that I am better able to work in a group setting. I now understand that I can not do it all and I need to trust other people with tasks. This has helped me in SGA as well. Since I am the VP of a committee and I need to trust other people in completing tasks on time and done well.

The best thing I learned in Summit Park is in a way bitter sweet. Friends are not always really what they seem. People lie and back-stab all of the time. I found this out multiple ways this year. However by saying this I do not mean that I had a bad time in Summit Park, just now I know to not trust people off the bat, but I need to fully get to know someone before I jump in to living with someone.

I think that I have made an impact on my community and on the agency we worked with this year. I impacted the community by showing people that being engaged is fun. We were dedicated this semester to trying to do cute and simple ways to get C.A.R.E.'s name out there and raise some money for them. Also I think more people at Drury and in the Springfield area know about C.A.R.E. and what they stand for. I know this because everywhere I went I told people about C.A.R.E. and what they stand for. If someone was looking for a pet I would tell them were to go. I know I impacted the community through these reasons.
I impacted the agency as well. I know this because CARE is a non-profit organization and all the money they receive goes to helping a homeless dog or cat. There are many costs that go into housing, feeding, and catering to the medical needs for the animals at CARE. Therefore, throughout the year, we have raised a little under 1000 dollars for our organization. Thus we have made a large financial impact on the agency.

If I did not get a chance to live in Summit Park I do not think I would have met many of the people I live around. I would not have got to know the people at CARE and would not been able to spread the word around about their awesome program. There were ups and downs, highs and lows. But if I never lived here I never would have had one of the best years of my life. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so.

I would have changed the amount of work we did for the organization the first semester. I just don't think that we were expecting the extensive amount of time that it took to complete all of the tasks that we had planned. It makes me wonder just how much more money we could have handed over to CARE if we had been more dedicated in the fall semester. Maybe we could have not been a little under 1000 dollars but a little over!

ADVICE: Make a connection with your organization...they will appreciate you more and will give you more help. In addition to this you will enjoy and get more out of the experience if you do!

HAVE A NICE SUMMER!

-Sarah Nemeth

No comments:

Post a Comment